Want to Make Your Move Easy? We Can Help!
Let's face it: moving day isn't necessarily a walk in the park! There are a lot of moving parts (no pun intended) that come along with the packing process, whether you're moving to Charleston from the other side of town or across the country. Don't worry, though—we're here to lighten the load with our quick and easy moving tips. When in doubt, just remember that the Lowcountry lifestyle you've been dreaming of is just within your reach!
Before You Move
Don't procrastinate, especially if you're gearing up for a big move! Start packing and planning as soon as possible so there's less to do around moving day.
Organize and declutter
Start one room at a time and begin to organize and declutter, and be sure you don't overwhelm yourself by taking on too much at once. Set aside anything that can be donated, sold, or thrown away. This means you'll have even less to pack when the time comes.
Lighten the load
Want to make a little extra cash? Having a yard sale can get rid of all that extra stuff you don't want to bring along. Any remaining items can be donated to charity, including clothing, furniture, working electronics, and any other lightly used items.
Change your address
It can take a few weeks for the post office to process your change of address and begin forwarding your mail, so be sure to put in your request a few weeks before you move. This is also a good time to look into turning on utilities at your new home.
Useful Packing Tips
- Reinforce: Use sturdy, reinforced boxes. Don't be afraid to get friendly with bubble wrap and other packing material for fragile items, either.
- Innovate: Pack dishes, bowls, plates, and other glass objects vertically, rather than flat and stacked. For extra padding, pack glasses and stemware inside socks or any other protective material.
- Pack small: Pack heavier items in smaller boxes so they're easier to carry.
- Prevent leaks: Remove the tops and cover the openings of soaps, shampoos, and lotions with cling wrap, then twist the caps back on. You can also use cling wrap around dresser drawers or jewelry displays to keep them intact, or around furniture to prevent scratches.
- Prepare: Create an "Open Me First" box. This will contain personal items that you will need right away, such as toilet paper, soap, instant coffee, tools and box cutters, and paper dishes. Bonus points if you can carry it with you and not on the moving truck!
- Label, label, label! Want to make a seamless transition to your new home? Labeling boxes ahead of time will save you so many headaches, and it'll keep you organized while you're packing AND unpacking.
On Moving Day
It's not just the packing that's overwhelming—moving day itself can be very stressful if you haven't prepared ahead of time. Here are some tips to ensure a low-stress moving day.
Keep important info
Be sure you keep your essentials on hand and not on the moving truck, such as first aid supplies, medication, financial records, medical records, IDs, and other important documentation or high-value items. These are things you'll always want to have on hand.
Take an overnight bag
It's not uncommon to make it your home before the moving truck. Make sure you're prepared with things like a change of clothes, your toiletries, and a phone charger. If you have some extra room, an air mattress might be helpful, too!
Have phone numbers handy
Keep your moving foreman's contact info on hand in case something comes up. It's also handy to have your Bill of Loading and shipment registration number with you—it's the best way to keep track of your belongings.
After You Move
Now that the hard part is over, here are few final tips to getting your new home looking perfect!
Before you begin unpacking, you'll want to do a deep-clean of your new home. It's so much easier to get in all those nooks and crannies before you attempt to unpack!
Unpack by room
Remember how we suggested that you pack by room? Now it's time to do the same thing, just in your new house! Unpacking by room makes the process less stressful and more organized.
Enjoy your new home!
Although the moving process can be stressful, don't forget to sit back and relax. You're finally living out your Charleston dream!
Ready to Make Your Move to Charleston?
Relocating might seem difficult, but when you choose the right real estate team, it doesn't have to be. If you've been dreaming of calling Charleston home, now is the time to make your move. RARE Charleston has all the tools you need to find your perfect home, and we can't wait to help you put down your roots in this stunning city. When you're ready to take your next steps, feel free to reach out to us. We can't wait to help you navigate the buying process!